Pecan Pie is my all time favourite dessert – with ice cream = MY HEAVEN!
Arji requested this the other day, so I thought maybe I should also share with y’all my recipe. I have to admit…I did fuck up the presentation but this is what I get for trying too hard! Soz that it looked a little strange!
I don’t know why but I have a weird obsession with pecans. At least once a day I will have a ‘small’ handful of pecans with another ‘small’ handful of salted almonds. I know it strange but its sooo good! thought I’d share that with you for no apparent reason!
As you can see at the beginning it started of well…just…once it went through that hell of an oven it got worse…and worse.
I know people find it offensive using shop brought pastry but I’m sorry I seriously don’t think its wrong to by a pack of ready made. So bite me if you think I’m being too lazy! just remember Gordan Ramsey said there is nothing wrong with shop brought pastry! Just sayin!
So I seen this style crust done on Pinterest and thought I’d give this a go. Looks good here but just wait!
See the Leaf thing really ain’t working! At least now you know don’t try this as pastry does shrink and it’ll look ridic!
- 1 pack/500g of shortcrust pastry
- 200g Caster sugar
- 250ml of golden syrup
- 60g butter
- 3 medium eggs
- 20g Dark Chocolate (70% is a must!)
- 3/4 tsp of flaked salt
- a pinch of grated lemon zest (4 strokes against the grater will do)
- 120g pecans, chopped & some for decoration (like 12 halves)
- Roll out the pastry till thin enough (I would the thickness of £1 coin-that’s what Nigella says) then set aside in the fridge. Trust me this will help it later.
- Heat up the syrup and sugar on the cooker until the sugar has melted and leave to cool
- Beat up the egg and slowly pour the ‘cool’ syrup mixture into the eggs. make sure its steady and not all in one go otherwise you will regret this!
- Add your butter, vanilla, lemon, chocolate, salt and nuts! Then pour into the cold pie crust.
- Now you can whack in the oven for an hour. Make sure the oven is preheated at 170c.
- I would recommend that you leave this to set for at least 2 hours then demolish with ice cream. ENJOY!
I genuinely love this recipe and have used it for soo many years so this is one you can actually use because its an actual recipe and not just me making it up as I go along!